Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hey, Kid...remember when?


This photo was taken on October 16th, 2006. The Bears are playing a thrilling game of Monday night football in the background. We had just purchased a digital camera to capture the birth of our daughter and Coach snapped this as practice before our induction the next morning. I have saved this picture, though I have no idea why he has a bobby pin in his mouth, because this is the last picture of him as an only child.
I can remember this night even more vividly than most of the next day. Coach and The Kid were bouncing off the wall with excitement. We knew she was a girl and The Kid was thrilled to have a baby sister. I was nervous (knowing there would be actual pain involved prior to the sweet baby kisses). Plus, I was overwhelmed with the fear that I could never love anyone as much as I loved The Kid. He was the center of my whole world and it didn't seem possible that my heart would have enough room for another. I was so very wrong, it grew and then grew again.
I was also afraid because he would have to share his mom and dad, not to mention his Grammy and Pop pop, for the first time. Little did he know, 3 years later he would be a brother with two little sisters. God help him one day! I love him even more, now that he is a brother. He occasionally complains that he is not getting enough alone time, and yet that little Irish Catholic boy is still wishing we would have another. (Well, another 6 year old boy).
It is not all sunshine and lollipops, the Kid and Tink argue plenty. They are constantly pushing each other's boundaries. I heard a rumour this is how Flag girl and Warhol used to behave. Today, her big brother calls her nearly every morning to check in and has for years. I am keeping my fingers crossed that The Kid will follow in this example. In my happy mind, I picture my huge Kid standing next to my tiny Tink, always ready to protect her. No one will ever be able to pick on her, except maybe him.
Kid, I will continue to keep this picture to remember what our life looked like just before a Tink blew into our home. One morning, when you are fighting to get into the bathroom around two teenage girls, you can look back and ask your parents...why??

3 comments:

Flag Girl said...

It was no rumour....we didn't like each other at all back then...we couldn't even drive in the same car together going to JJC. He was a bad driver!!!

Anonymous said...

This one makes me cry. He is still my favorite "grandson." He'll tell you too.

The Mrs. said...

I can remember pulling away from my mom & dad's house after we dropped off Shortcake the night before Punkin was born. It was without a doubt one of the top five most difficult moments of my life. Unlike The Kid, Shortcake doesn't give us any requests for additional siblings so I think while she loves her sister fiercely she's about all Shortcake can handle (and we agree).