Friday, October 16, 2009

Happy Birthday, my girl.


I wish, on your second birthday, we thought to install a blinking yellow warning light above our door. A reminder to slow down and notice every second of how you were changing. As I prepare for your third birthday, I am filled with regret for not video taping you more. I did not take enough pictures and I am mentally trying to memorize the sound of your tiny voice. Many things have happened this year that will form the girl you are becoming. You turned into our Tink (a nickname that will certainly stick), you became a big sister and moved into your shared bedroom for the next 16 years. You potty trained!! and you suffered your first accident that may leave a little scar on your smile and in your heart.

During the first hours following, all I could think was "Her face! Not her perfect little face!". It was screaming in my head. I could not fathom in one blink, you could be horribly marked for life. The image of your first day, flashed in my mind. When you were born, you were the most beautiful, tiny baby I had ever seen. You were smaller than your brother and sister by pounds, your face was perfectly flushed and without a blemish but most memorable were your wide blue eyes. It was as if you were already full of confidence. Soaking in and observing every family member that came to meet you.
After my heart stopped racing, I realized what really upset me. It was not the fear of losing your beauty but rather that I was unable to protect you. You were only feet from me, your companion was the 'villain' and your wounds were deeper than your skin. That was your first heart break, the first time you looked at me for help and I could not stop the pain. I hate knowing, as you get older, as you start school, make friends, ride a bike....that many things will happen I can not prevent. Your heart will be broken by boys, your confidence will be shaken by mean girls and your tiny body will be scarred again. I can only pray that you will retain your inner Tink and always fight back. Always remain full of spirit and charge into life, rather than wait for an invitation.

There are also wonderful things to remember from this year. Many of them are enveloped in your squeaky vocabulary.

Tink Talk... translated.

"Taste dis!"....Please, bite my hang nail off for me.
"Where my sunecklacesses?"....Can you find my sunglasses?
"Pre Sun!"...May, I have a Capri Sun?
"I NEBER!"... I would not like to do (insert anything), thank you mom, for asking.
"I lobe you too".... The only way she will say, I love you, regardless if you said it first. Always meant as a reminder that you love her more, than she actually loves you.
"Don't do dis to me".....Anything, you do that she has not asked for.
"Rub me."..... I made the HUGE mistake of rubbing her foot while I nursed her as a baby at night. Now, she would like her foot rubbed AND her neck, back, stomach, arms, etc. She has even requested her bottom but we had to draw the line.
"Use your claws, like dis!".... Please gently scratch me with your fingernails as you rub me.
"Banket!!!"....Would you please locate my blanket for me. One positive note from her incident, her wounds made her unable to suck on the corners of her blanket. Breaking her of a disgusting habit. If you had the misfortune of having the wet end slap against your skin, you are almost thankful to that dog.

"Dat MINE sista"....Yes, this is my new younger sister. Love her some, but not more than me.

"I want mine moobie"....Please play Tinkerbell AGAIN.

You may find the exclamation marks obnoxious at this point but I can assure you, this is how she speaks.

"I NOT WANT DOS CLODES, I WANT MINE JAMMIES!!!"... I will not change into real clothing, I am perfectly comfortable in my 3 day old pajamas.
"I go to Cawgo, dat last time".... I went to Chicago, months ago. 'Last time' can refer to last week, last month, last year or even yesterday, whether it was the first, second or last time she has experienced it.

A question posed to Tink.
What would you like to eat?
"French frides"....French Fries, anytime, from anywhere, for any meal.


In addition, I fell more in love because: Your hugs got tighter, you have gotten taller but did not gain one single pound, making your legs the cutest things ever in leggings and I adore your short haircut. Plus, you are turning three, which happens to be my favorite age!
I love you so very much, my beautiful daughter. I am grateful to be a passenger on your ride. If my heart was full of The Kid, it runneth over with you. You may have been our 'surprise' baby but our life is certainly more pleasantly unpredictable with you in it.
Happy Sweetest Day Birthday, Tink. It seems oddly fitting and ironic.

3 comments:

Munchkin said...

my absolute favorite part of tink is her hair... maybe it's because we have that in common

Happy Birthday Tink!!

Anonymous said...

I never imagined that tiny Tink could barge into Grammy & The Kid's world and make a place for herself. She firmly established this year that it is her Grammy too. Happy Birthday my unique and wonderful Granddaughter. You remind me of so many good times with your Uncle. Love you so much!

The Mrs. said...

I can't wait to watch her continue to grow up. There's something unique, amazing, and irresistbable about those blonde haired, blue eyed Irish girls that's for sure!

Happy 3rd birthday to you, Miss Tink!