Thursday, September 17, 2009

The worst post I hope I ever type.


Wednesday morning just before 9:00am, what has to be the worst hour of my life began. Tink was eating a pop tart on the couch and watching The Incredible's for the 200th time. She was under her Dora blanket and cuddled at her side was her puppy, Desmond. Every morning in our house for the last 16 months this scene has played out. We are creatures of habit; Tink, Desmond and I. We like to ease into the day nice and slow.
For whatever reason this day turned ugly. I got up to start cleaning the kitchen and seconds later I heard a yelp and then a scream (that I hope will stop playing in my head very soon). Tru's dog, her bestest friend, her sleeping companion....bit her face. I cannot say exactly how this happened though I suspect it had something to do with 'a bite for him a bite for her'. Maybe even a little Tink elbow in the dog's back. I know he was not malicious and would never have meant to bite her...he has taken much flak from his owner and has always looked at her with love.
What I saw was too awful to describe and really a dark blur in my mind. I raced to call Coach, my mom, grab Coco from the crib, wrap Tink up and wait at the end of the driveway. Adrenaline is an amazing thing because I have no idea how I organized all that in seconds and even grabbed a diaper bag. I felt my body's urge to pass out, scream or cry and yet I managed to behave like I had a clue.
There was blood everywhere. If you have seen a face injury you are familiar. He cut chunks from her bottom lip in 3 places from lip to skin. It was the most horrific thing I have ever seen. We barged into the doctor without even calling and spent the next 45 minutes listening to our middle child scream as we, plus a nurse held her down. At least 13 stitches later we took our very swollen girl home.
We are extremely grateful to our nurse (who battled tears) and Doctor who looked wrecked by the end. They exclaimed several times that Tink is VERY strong and VERY defiant. Hey, we already know!
After we got her home we immediately had Grandma, Grammy, Flag girl rush to Tink's side. Uncle Commissioner spent his lunch hour picking out a Tinkerbell toy for our girl and Aunt Jackie took Coco while things settled down. In the evening, two fourteen year old boys who barely know Tink, but had the unfortunate luck of being in the Doctor's waiting room to hear the screams...brought over Popsicles as a gift to her. We are reminded how lucky Tink is.
Tink's puppy has been taken to Grammy and Pop pop's home and is being watched over VERY closely by my brother. The vet ran several tests to make sure he was healthy and at this time does not believe Desmond has to be put down, though it is doubtful he will return to our home. I feel awful for him, as well, because I know he would have never meant to harm her. I guess no one can resist a pop tart. (Bad joke?)
Tink has been doing well. Not eating and exhausted from the trauma but she smiled a very sad and crooked smile at her Tinkerbell present and new pajamas from Grammy.
Last night as the energy finally drained from my body I asked Coach if this would be the worst day we ever experienced as a parent... he hoped so. Ditto.
If you are so inclined,
please pray for our tiny Tink's beautiful smile.


Update: It is nearing bed time and we had a very good day. We saw the plastic surgeon who exclaimed that he could not have stitched her any better himself. We left in great spirits. We stopped for a very brief visit while we held her and let her see Desmond from a distance...telling her that he apologized. She was timid but said "Dat my Desmond, he come home". Probably not, but we are hopefully mending some of the damage. She has eaten a peanut butter sandwich, taken all her meds and declared that "Tink need to go to carnival this weekend". Whatever you say baby, mommy and daddy will buy you a Mockingbird!

8 comments:

BretCB said...

So sad. I'm glad everything seems to be turning out OK. I hope she heals well.

MelancholySmile said...

Oh my gosh, there is nothing worse than having to stand by and watch your tiny, helpless child suffer. I've had to hold down E while he was being stitched up, and it was horrible. I'll be praying that she heals quickly and beautifully, and you all can get back to your calm mornings again!

The Mrs. said...

Heal quickly, Tink! We're keeping you in our thoughts and prayers (and your poor, stressed out mommy too!).

Munchkin said...

While Tink and the rest of you are currently at the top of the prayer/concern list and I pray, but really I know she'll heal just fine and be as cute as ever...

please don't give me any flak for this, but I also pray for Desmond that maybe he doesn't have to be put down but can find a farm, maybe with an old man to run free, but not be in danger of hurting and REALLY cute little kids... hey, i'm a dog lover...

Munchkin said...

although I will say this, I've always said I'd shoot Prada myself if she ever hurt one of the kids!!

Munchkin said...

i don't know how you could ever say no to that dialogue in general...

no say dat to me

Anonymous said...

That's so scary -- I hope she's feeling better soon!!!

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that mouth wrapped around my hard meat sucking it while I hold her ponytails and face f--k her