Thursday, May 13, 2010

Great day, for a Run (is it ever?)

My nephew Three, is headed to The State Track Event.
For 3 events.
Three, people.
Not one, or two, but 3 times the AweSoMe.



This Spring, I have had the pleasure (waking nightmare) of attending several (too many) of Three's track meets.
With each meet, Tink and I have excitedly (with dread) jumped into Flag girl's car (ol beater I thought may die) to drive (get lost, in a mad circle, as I would pretend it was just enjoyable to be in her company) to the Event.

After eagerly paying (usually for Flag girl, as she would pretend to forget her purse) to attend each meet, we rushed to a spot near the fence. We would wait on pins and needles (bored out of my mind) while we enjoyed, watching the other Junior High youngens (did not pay attention to ONE other child) as they raced towards the finish line.

Cheering enthusiastically (barely clapping) for each competitor, was exhilarating (booorrinng) and really got me and Tink pumped (even 3 yr olds recognize Track, is like watching paint dry).

Occasionally, (every single time) we would frequent the concession stand for a small diet bag of unsalted, unbuttered popcorn (Payday, peanut M&M's and a Diet) as not to spoil the healthy dinner, I had simmering in the crock pot at home (drive thru McDonalds).

After the excitement had reached a frenzied peak (nearly beat my head into the fence), Three would walk to the starting line. He would stretch (not at all) until his muscles were prepped like a well oiled machine (he looked bored) and would anticipate the gun (sometimes he looked surprised to hear it).
And then, he ran like the wind. (Actually, he really did. Like stupid hard, Chicago wind.)

That boy is fast. Crazy fast. Which is probably why...he is headed to State.
(Only family member to ever make State, except some girl in Flags.)
(Even more lame, than Track.)
(Slightly less lame, than Wrestling.)

Those 58 seconds, made the entire evening worth it (that and the Payday). This Gifted Athlete, inspired me to be a better person (made me hungry). Watching Three run with ease, made me believe, I just may be able to train for that Dreaded 5Mile (totally lying).
And made me even more excited, for The Kid's future Track Meets (lying even harder, God help me...let him play baseball.)

So here is to you, Three.
Make us proud (you already have).
And help bury, Coach's glory in the past.
We are so over him.

Love ya...Run hard!

9 comments:

The General said...

Congratulations! What events? With the mention of 58 seconds, I will guess the 400m. From the picture with the baton and the kid in the background I will guess the 4x100. And a shot in the dark says the 4x400.

Flag Girl said...

400, 4x2,4x4..nice guess general.

This blog is the exact energetic spirit Tru-stories had when she graced us with her presence! Thats why we love her!

Anderson Family said...

Flag Girl, you are funny! Hope the lucky necklace did the trick! I would rather The Kid run track than be in a Science Club. Hilarious blog!

The Mrs. said...

How can you not love the atmosphere of a track meet? You must be dead inside.

I would also like to say, for the record, that I believe you may have taken over the top spot for a very prestigious honor in this extended family: Most appropriate and witty use of sarcasm. It's a skill that is finely cultivated in several members of our husbands' family, but I think you might just take the cake. Love it.

Flag Girl said...

4X2 Team got 5th in STATE!!
Crowned with metals, and a life long banner at DGS! Three's favorite part!

Three ranked 34th in the State for the 400

4X400 Team got 19th in State!
Tough competition!

I don't know who was prouder.....Three or Three's Mom and Dad!!

Munchkin said...

I would like a recount for the most appropriate/best use of sarcasm Mrs....

I may or may not think this is incorrect.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, for both Three and Tru Stories!!! This blog post was hilarious!!

The Mrs. said...

I'm sorry, Munchkin, but you've got that whole "Doctor" thing to fall back on now. Tru Stories is Queen of Sarcasm.

Way to go, Three!

The General said...

Grats Three!