Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Made-up holidays are not my bag.

Today, I very carefully, stole the thunder from a Groundhog.
I explained that either way, six weeks is still six weeks.

First, The Kid was confused, then he questioned, glared, tried to reason and finally accepted.
Six weeks, no matter how you dress it up, is still six full weeks.

Only two short months before I possibly, rain all over the Easter Bunny's parade.

Depending on my mood.
I'm not really a fan of holidays built around small, fuzzy animals and one that predicts me in a winter coat for six more weeks....way down on my list.

Update: After posting this blog, my husband immediately read it.
Then, I had to very carefully, steal the Groundhog's thunder for the second time today.
Apparently, Coach has lived his entire life, tricked by this holiday, as well.
All I can say in response to this discovery:
He is a deep and complex man, I continue to unravel...and...
thank god he's cute.

3 comments:

Anderson Family said...

I'm going to say, I don't get it. Until your blog I never paid attention. People know this is not real right? The groundhog probably goes back into his hole because 10,000 people are taking pictures. I see all these facebook commens and wonder, do you people get this is not a weather gauge.

Andrea said...

grammy, it's a tradition, we all love traditions.
as a child, i too was confused about the groundhog. if i did the math correctly, spring is literally just over 6 weeks away, so i never got it.

Bookkeeper said...

What kind of Catholic are you? February 2nd is also a church holy day; The Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary (exactly 6 weeks after Dec 25th). This day is also known as Candlemas - where all the candles to be used in the church are blessed - Maybe the RC's have dropped this from their liturgical calendar; we Anglicans still whoop it up.