Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cleaning Day, Schmleaning Blay.....

I would give, just about anything to relax in this chair.
Kicking back with a book, bare feet and heck, maybe even a cliche glass of lemonade.
I'll pretend to ignore the idea of mosquitoes and focus solely on the sounds of birds and children gleefully laughing.
Far on the other side of the yard, with their father, in charge.
Make believe is fun, but I have accepted my banishment to the Tundra.
If by some miracle, Spring returns to 'these parts', the chance of me spending a leisurely afternoon reading in the sun, feels pretty slim.
Thanks to the 429 children I have, my summer days will be filled with cries of...
"I not want dat sunkren!"
"I not touch dat sand!"
"I cant not see dat dadybug!"

or worse,
"Mom, what was the longest worm on record and from what country was that found and what type of soil did it grow in?"
So on and so forth....



Until then, Wednesday is cleaning day.
I actually try to clean a little every day...but Wednesday and Friday are 'Get down to business' cleaning day.
Two weeks ago, cleaning day turned into "Our children are being raised in a disgusting pig sty and I can't live with all this filth tumbling down on top of me like an episode of Hoarders, or I will lose my mind and freak the F out, because I am really tittering on a nervous breakdown nearly every day of my stay at home life and you don't know cuz you are gone all the time being a super awesome coach while I make choket milk all day!!"
Um....
Anyway...
It began with the Game Closet. One morning I taught that Game closet, a lesson it will soon not forget. I then, moved to the Linen closet.
That is where things got a little ugly.
Excuse me?
Do I really need 4 Generations worth of bed linens, in my home?
We use the same sheets every time! Strip the bed, wash the sheets, put them back on the bed. Not complicated.
No one stays the night, why would they, this place is a madhouse.
Ok, one extra set for the chance at a late night puke.
Sure, let's keep a few extra for when you need to cut down a Christmas tree and put it in your trunk and save the interior from sap.
Except, my husband has the perfect little man truck for cutting down trees and really...we just chop down our landscaping, as our Christmas centerpiece.
Then, wait a minute...do I also have TWO Hope chests, filled with blankets.
Enter the Goodwill drop off. In the past two weeks, I have sent nearly 20 Garbage bags to Goodwill or Recycle.
I am not done.
Baby stuff. Do not get comfortable. Your days are numbered.
Stuffed animals, you are not serving a purpose. Say your goodbyes.
McDonalds Happy Meal toys, don't even get me started.
It is my plan, my Life's Goal to clear this home of clutter, by May.
If you are not pretty, useful or calming, prepare to go.

Tink, be careful.

I Kid! Kinda...

5 comments:

Anderson Family said...

I threw away a garbage bag of old toys this week. Toys going back to the 80's. The Kid helped. He let me know what he has no use for. By the way, very pretty.

Anonymous said...

I've recently found the joy that is Craigslist -- the boys have made quite a bit of cash, too!!

The Mrs. said...

I'm hosting the mother of all garages sales late spring/early summer. Feel free to unload baby items for profit as you wish.

you can call me al said...

That is AWESOME! I love hear stories of triumph over clutter! Way to go! (and thanks for the kick in the butt :)

Cath said...

ooh, let me know when the mother of all garage sales is!