Friday, January 29, 2010

Don't be a 'Square'.

Blogger world, where have I been?
I'll tell you.

There comes a day, near the end of January...beginning of February-ish, each year (well, for the past 3 years) where I become obsessed, hand shaky, eye blurry, list crazy, kind of obsessed with our Relay for Life Dance.

That day...was yesterday.

It started creeping in Wednesday night, as I sold a handful of tickets...and it is building up with an avalanche of excitement.
Our family, has a Relay for Life team. We hold 3 Big Events each year.
I'm not talking no bake sale, people.
Our family likes to have a good time. Stupid good time.
It seems very appropriate for us to hate on Cancer and lack of White Blood Cells, by smushing that together with a little dancing, bean bag tossing and ripping the seams off a softball.
On February 13th, our team will hold it's 'Big Money-Maker' by hosting a decade themed dance, designed to 'Shake your Money-Maker'.
(pause a moment, to appreciate how cute that sentence was...)

Our first year, 1985 Prom.
Our second year, 1975 Homecoming Pep Rally.
This year....1955 Sweetheart Sock Hop.
We are exactly 14 days, from said event and I am getting pumped!
This year, has a new buzz about it.
Originally, I was the idea man. I will proudly and for the rest of my life, take credit as the creator of 1985 Prom. (An accomplishment I'd probably list second to the creation of my children.) I can say, without trying to humble myself, it is very easy to propose an idea. Without the talent, my ideas would just float in the wind.
This year, everyone had ideas, making it possible, this is set to be, the best dance.... ever.
(tiny belly flip at the nervousness of putting that statement out there.)

Now Coach, may be able to spin a basketball on his finger for a ridiculously long amount of time...his siblings, however, have a vast array of talents that are crucial to our dance success.
His sisters are practically trained interior designers. Not just decorating the Hall with their god-given beauty (brownie points?)...but transporting guests to another era. They spend hours, decorating each corner, bathroom and table with decade themed surprises.
His brother, The Commissioner, is a graphic artist, who's talent endlessly amazes me. The fliers, invitations and voting ballets are all crafted with a professional's eye. Possibly, in the near future, he may grow tired of our team and toss his computer out the window...if he didn't love her like a mistress. His wife has whole-heartily jumped on board, making endless phone calls for 'cool giveaways' and passing out fliers. She also holds the esteemed title of 'Frozen Creator and Taste Tester'. Many, will appreciate that collaboration.
Then, there is the other brother, Warhol. To call him a gifted painter would be an understatement. I suggest an 'idea' and he will transform my little idea into a work of art. It may be, an R-rated work of art. He will have two such pieces at our dance, so amazing and fun...we are auctioning them, for the cause. (have your money ready!)
Hey, even Clark is working on his outfit!
We are throwing our guts and glory into this dance.

Which is why, yesterday, I lost myself in a swirling time warp of 1950's music selections (for games, royalty waltzes and extras). I enveloped myself in the details of the finale. Let me repeat...of The GrAnd FinAle! to put the others, to shame. I looked up details, ensuring every single little minute is filled with fun.

If you are able to attend, and we MORE than hope you will... we promise, a great time.
What we can promise:
If you are a non-drinker, we have conceived a crafty plan this year, to make sure you have fun.
If you are a drinker, uh...you will have fun. Duh.
If you have a sweet tooth, you will have fun.
If you like a cute picture, joining a friendly competition or love dancing, swinging and 'twisting and shouting', you will have fun.
If you have ever had the urge to wear a poodle skirt, 'Beat ur Neck', Grease your Lightening, Pink your Lady, tight Levi's, roll up a pack of smokes, or let loose your inner Marilyn Monroe, James Dean or Lauren Bacall...you will have fun.
If you don't feel like dressing up at all...I'm pretty sure you will have fun, despite yourself.
If you are single, looking to not be single, with a group of gals or ugh! boringly married....YOU. Will. Have. Fun.
We promise, or your money back.
(Not really, it's for charity, after all)

I must remind myself, party planning, is not my career.
I am actually, a stay at home mother.
A very 1950's profession.
Though, after my research, I think I may be failing miserably at my job.
This is not the scene that Coach returns home, too.




Frankly, after the time spent planning, the poor man was lucky to have dinner made.

Coach, has really 'taken one for the team' by making his business available for ticket purchasing. Also, he has reluctantly volunteered, with a twisted arm, to make several visits to our local pubs, this weekend.
He really hates Cancer.
What a great man.
In between chatting, he will have tickets to sell.

As always, our team appreciates your support. We established this team after losing precious members of our family, who will never be forgotten.
While our dance will be crazy, stupid, hair raising fun....our first priority is raising money for the Cancer Centers of America.
While they have not won every battle, for every person fighting their illness, they are desperately trying to win the war. I, personally, owe my life to the doctors at the Cancer Center and could never express my thanks.
Please join us, in our cause.

Thank you,
Team We (Cancer)vive

Are you 'hep' to it?

No comments: