Monday, January 18, 2010

33

And....I have turned 33.
The number does not bother me.
There is always a brief moment just before my birthday, where I am reminded, I was not promised each additional year.
And while this blog is normally loaded with self-deprecating humour...I am grateful for what I have and what I have accomplished.
A few months ago I posted my 'Bucket List'. I felt today was a fitting time to remind myself of the great memories of my life.

33 things I am darned glad my life has given to me:
(remembering, I could easily, list another 200.)



1. The Kid
2. Tink
3. Coco
4. Married my husband, under a very blue sky, in our garden.
5. Purchased my grandparent's home and continued to fill it with babies.
6. Learned to take a great photograph and speak another language.
7. I stood in The Pacific, The Atlantic and The Gulf.
8. Graduated college
9. Read The Great Gatsby, four times.

10. Learned how to almost tame my curly hair, with lots of product.
11. Firmly established "Family Movie Night".
12. Joined the coolest Relay Team ever. We may not make the most money but we have the most fun, while hating on Cancer. Holla!
13. Became an aunt to 10 awesome kids.
14. Endured child birth 3 times. This may seem redundant after #1-3, but I feel I have earned a repeat.
15. Have a close relationship with my mother.
16. Saw Madonna in concert 3 times. Once, in Las Vegas, in a seat close enough to see her eye color.
17. Attended an exhibit of the largest collection of Monet paintings.
18. Have seen the Grand Canyon and stood on the Rocky Mountains.
19. 1985 Prom
20. Told a broken heart...who was boss.
21. Camped in Sedona and cliff dived.
22. Took The Kid to Florida.
23. Have an annual summer trip to Chicago with our children.
24. Been to a Cubs game, White Sox game, Bulls game and Bears game (when Walter Payton broke the rushing record.)

25. Walked to Odell.
26. Traveled all over the country, as a child, with my parents.
27. Have mastered cooking potatoes.
28. Started this blog.
29. Developed into a person, ridiculous enough to request Like a Prayer, and then dance to it totally alone, like a complete idiot, rather than let the request hang. While the other ladies are being brats. That was for you, Kahuna.
30. Witnessed, the greatest Beatle ever, sing Hey Jude, in concert.
31. Became a god-mother.
32. Lived.... even if it is with shots, doctors, unwanted medical advice from well-meaning, but occasionally annoying relatives, whom I love despite that, because...living, gave me all of the above.
33. Sometimes, ignored the medical advice and followed my heart...because that too has given me, all of the above....specifically, # Three.

So, Happy Birthday, to myself.
And, hello 33.
I am ready to see what memory you will give me.

9 comments:

Anderson Family said...

Happy Birthday (tomorrow) my beautiful, smart, sometimes obstinate daughter. I am so proud of the person you have become. I remember when you were a shy thing. Did not have the confidence to dance alone to a Madonna song while many people watched, nor to speak at a roast in front of a large group. You have overcome many obstacles. More than once that obstacle was illness. Your first baby picture looks like Coco, the 2nd one, Tink, the last one, The Kid. I'm proud of all your achievements. Love you so much! Thrilled I was next to you for the Hey Jude! Their Grammy, Your Mom

Munchkin said...

you were alive when the beatles were still touring? wow you're old

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! Love Doc

Flag Girl said...

Happy birthday Tru stories! You deserve the best that life can give...

The Mrs. said...

Happy birthday to you, dear Enforcer. May tomorrow bring you obedient children, lots of chocolate, and endless spoiling by Coach. You deserve all that and more. Thanks for paving the way for our 33rd year - I'll follow your lead at the tail end of '10!

The General said...

Happy Birthday! I didn't realize Coach married a cougar.

Stephanie said...

I know you were going for 33 things you are glad for, but I want to add yoga in there for a side note. Without it, I may have met you, but never gotten to really meet such a wonderful person. I hope you have a great double digit birthday!

Cath said...

Hope you have a great day Tru Stories! You deserve it, so glad you started this blog it's always a nice reminder to appreciate everything small and big.

Tru Stories said...

Thanks so much to everyone!
Lots of kind words.
Thanks, of course, to Munchkin and The General for reminding me I am old.
What would I do without both of you?
I'm sure I can zing you both plenty in about....28 days or so.
And I did realize later...Yoga most definitly belonged on this list.