Monday, July 5, 2010

Well....we did it.

It happened.
I ran (walked/jogged) 5 miles.

Here, is the Post-Race (Walk/Jog) Update.



(How jazzed does this group look, to be up at 6:00am preparing to run (walk/jog for some of us) 5 Miles, on a holiday morning, for no good reason?)


(Yes, Coach won, from our group. With an impressive time of 38 minutes. And yet, the winner of the entire event completed somewhere around 26 minutes. Which is super human.)



(This is me and my mid-way racing partner, Sarah. We latched/clung onto each other during some very rough times. Specifically, Miles 2-4. That was not a pretty time and I sincerely apologize for subjecting her to my Sailor Mouth.)



(Warhol. Dramatic and Swift Race Finish Photo.)



(The Mrs. Despite what she may blog. She posted a VERY impressive time. Looked Fab. And carried on with a cheerfully/pukey attitude. I nearly pushed her.)



(Munchkin. The most Rocky-like finish of the day. At least for me. It was the only finish, I actually witnessed.)

What I learned:
1. Mile 3-4 was mapped out by the Devil.
2. I was totally not prepared for the TemperatureoftheSurfaceoftheSunHeat which radiated off the 3 Plus Miles of unshaded Black Top Road.
3. The TINY cups of water they handed out, seemed a little like a joke.
4. I do not have precise enough Aim to throw the tiny cups, into the tiny garbage bags, the poor 6 year old girls were holding. Sorry, little girls, for being pelted with my garbage.
5. I quickly abandoned my Run a Block/Walk a Block Philosophy for a Run Downhill/Walk Uphill Style.
6. Yoga Style Capri's may be most comfy, but at some point, I would have cut 17 inches off the bottom, if a volunteer would have handed me scissors.
7. Clark cooks well, normally. But following The Race (Walk/Jog) I chowed on his Buffet like a cow.
8. People who make jokes from the side (General) but are not even attempting to run. NOT funny.
9. When I get hot. VERY, very hot. I morph from my Normally Cheerful Self, to a Swear Word Spewing Glaring Pig-like Sweating Mess... which should not being around children. Sorry, to my nieces and nephews (and their parents) for yelling "This Sucks" as I ran (walk/jogged) passed their Bright Clapping Faces. Bad Aunt.
10. When "Just Like a Prayer" popped onto my IPOD for the remaining 4 minutes. My mind flashed to WWMD? (What Would Madonna Do) and it pumped me Up, to finish with a little extra Umpf.
Score 1... for awesome IPOD Playlist Placement.

End Result:

My Time: 61 Min and 4 seconds.
(subtract the time it took to actually get to start line, stopping to fold my pants legs up, pausing for near asthma attack, practically running sideways off track from a heat stroke) and we'll call that an even Hour.
I am pretty proud.
I completely crawled out of My Box.
I accomplished something new and different.
I did not die.

And....
I would do it again.
With a tad more training and different shorts.

Great 4th of July Race Day, Clark and Doc!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How bizarre is this?? I hate to run and I hate to get up early, yet I'm sad I missed it!! Glad you all had fun and did so well!!!

Anonymous said...

MC - Next year, let's see MC and Mr.MC hitting the pavement!!
Doc

Anderson Family said...

I am so proud of you Tru Stories. I raised you. I know you have spent most of your life rejecting running. Because it really does not make sense, we have cars. Anyway, very proud.

The Mrs. said...

Way to go, Tru Stories! There were times in the months leading up to yesterday's race where I was cursing you (silently and kindly, of course), but I'll admit it - I'm glad you convinced me to do the race. It was actually a lot of fun and I will PROBABLY do it again next year as well. Let's see what we can do about cranking down the temperature about 20 degrees though.

Tru Stories said...

It is really embarrasing that you continue to credit me with making you sign up.
Given that I barely finished and everything.

Flag Girl said...

Great JOB EVERYONE! Proud of everyone. The guilt of not running has more than set in!

Stephanie said...

Sorry to hear you didn't come in first, but there is always next year....but you might want to try training a bit earlier next year! Way to go! Congratulations! You did it!