Thursday, December 10, 2009

Life experiences

I've just spent the last two plus hours, at the laundry mat. Thanks to the busted dryer. This was my first experience at the laundry mat since I was a toddler.
It was something.
We had six washers going and it should have been more, but we over stuffed.
I observed the following.
1. We had so many loads (thanks to 3 kids, a husband with 3 jobs and nearly that many wardrobe changes in a day). We had to bring clothes in with garbage bags. Just the ribbon, wrapping up the analogy of our day.
2. Is it possible, my children's clothes, smell more like pee now, than when they went in?
3. I became famished and could not get enough junk out of the vending machine. But I tried.
4. My shoulders hurt from all the folding.
5. There was a point, where I rationalized, most of our clothes should just be thrown away rather than fold and take them home. Why do we have so many ugly clothes?
6. Tink, fit in beautifully, especially after not brushing her hair. This will not be her last life experience at The Mat. Vending machine lunch, the highlight of her week.
7. I will never again, look at the people there as white trash. Obviously, they have far more money than I, if they can afford to drop $30 a week in quarters.
8. Clothes are washed, folded and back in my house. Now,I am too tired to put them away.
9. I began to regret, not getting those vaccinations.
10. It was hard, not to randomly blurt out...."I have a new, updated laundry room...the dryer just broke. I'm not a regular."
FYI
Whatever my children are wearing today. They will be wearing tomorrow. And for the next three days.
I'm not going back.
How many more times, should I wash my hands, this afternoon?

2 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I firmly believe that if there is a hell on earth it's disguised as a laundromat. Coming from a woman who had to use a laundromat for cleaning clothes for a solid year before buying our home, please know you have my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies on the loss of your dryer.

Anderson Family said...

I really feel like part of becoming a woman is going to a laundromat. Until you do it you can not understand how lucky you are not to have to go. I said use my dryer. Please never take my grandchildren there again. It was a different time when you went with me. My grandchildren do not need to know that life is out there.