Sunday, December 13, 2009

It's not going in our yard, Russ....

It's just not Christmas, if you haven't ticked off a relative. This year, that relative is my father.
Coach and I own my grandparents home. They lived in this home for 48 years, raising all six of their children. I am honored, to continue, filling these walls with their grandchildren.
That said, we sometimes have a few issues with change. Occasionally, as every new homeowner does, we want to make a few changes to our home. Some, obviously, need to be updated. There are others, my father is not a cheerleader for.
One would be a tree in our yard. I HATED this tree. It has not done anything to personally offend me. It is placed in a location, I am trying to make more kid friendly. It also blocks the view to my grandma's flower garden, I am upkeeping, at a frazzled pace.
I decided this year, that tree needed to go. And it's not going in our yard, Russ...it's going in our living room.

Issue: The sentimental value, the tree was transplanted from Washington state and hand watered by my grandpa each morning.
I will remember to appreciate that, as my children plunge head first, under it Christmas morning.
It is almost sweet, the tree will stand, center, in our first Christmas as a complete family.
Problem: I should have come up with this plan, two years ago. That tree, is HUGE.

Coach, began, by cutting three feet off the bottom. National Lampoons Christmas, followed scene by scene. After, barely squeezing it into our home, we had to trim 18 inches off the top. Tack on another hour of me walking around with pruning sheers, to cut random branches off the side. Our original location, in front of the window would not work.
Not, if we ever actually walk into that room in the next two weeks.

Because...clever transition into my project of the year....Christmas is 13 days away.
Advent Blocks.
Grammy and I dubbed last Sunday, Craft Day.
It sounds more docile than it was. We made ornament wreaths and two sets of Advent blocks.
One nearly fatal burn to her thumb, from a wild glue gun attack and several shattered bulbs later...sprinkle in a few swear words and shrieks of "No Kid, you CANNOT help make crafts, it is too dangerous for children"...
We each completed a set. Hers, in Christmas colors. Mine, in Winter shades. (I plan a Christmas countdown, then New Year's, my birthday and then 1955 Sweetheart dance...aka the awesomeness taking place in 2 months, from today!!)

Block blueprint...
Cut two blocks from landscape 4x4. Paint edges. Glue scrap book paper. Stick numbers (Bragging rights! I am the Rainman, that figured out which numbers needed to go on which block. 6 sides, times two, needs to be able to count 25 days down to 1 day. I am pretty proud, considering story problems make me nauseous.)

After, my arms stopped burning from the branch trimming and light stuffing/hanging. We began to decorate. (Coach only cuts down our tree, then returns hours later to dramatically hang the Clover ornament, which plays the roll of angel in our home.) Otherwise, is was famdamly fun for the kids and I.

This photo, was taken from under the tree. The prime location, for Tink to hang 7 bulbs on the same branch. The Kid, nearly had an anxiety attack. The Kid and his mother, both. I whispered, I would move them around, after she went to bed.

What is better than a freshly decorated home for Christmas? Sitting alone on the couch with your husband, to enjoy those lights....after Aunt Flag girl, unexpectedly called, asking your children to stay the night. Uh, duh...YES!! We were filled to the brim on Christmas joy, for the night.
Plus, we needed our rest.
Coach and I, are embarking on an all day shopping marathon today. We both HATE Christmas shopping and have bought NOTHING.
We have a typed list of names, prices and stores. We used our romantic setting, under the lights, to map out our plan last night.
Hopefully, we can knock it out in one long afternoon.
We have a VERY large tree, to fill with presents.

3 comments:

Anderson Family said...

Lots of responsibilities and pressure seem to go with having a hand me down family home. Even cutting the tree down, it is way more beautiful than when you got it.

Anonymous said...

I hope there's not a squirrel in there.

The General said...

Flag Girl never calls to take our kids for the night...