Sunday, June 17, 2012

Warrior Dash 2012

"Nobody's Gotta be a Hero...."
A phrase spoken exclusively for me.

Around Mile Marker #1.
In the 98 plus degree weather....
It became clear, after 3 summers of joining these events: I'm not cut out for this. The heat knocked me out, before the obstacles had their chance.
I only ever joined these events, to feel the camaraderie of being a part of the group.
Therefore:
I'm retiring my running (slow jog/walking) shoes.

To my Crew:
(Part of My Team: Me in obvious post race glow/death, Ditta and General- asking me if I can breathe yet... or just maybe he's unable to stand.)


Munchkin: You have turned into a happy mini machine of svelte power.  I'm impressed.
Ditta Ditta: The Warrior Officials should shave several minutes off your final time just for having to carry those giant guns, up the hills.
Bird: Thanks for keeping your enthusiasm and honesty, while watching your yoga teacher literally bend in half. (unintentionally...)
And The General: My two time partner, proving that carrying a gym pass on your key chain really can make a man stronger.  I was honored to hold your hand, once again. We should randomly do that more often.

You four, should have left me... the 6-7 times I told you to "save yourselves".  But it was sweet, you didn't.

My Coach:  Congrats on again proving to be a Warrior.  During the race... and especially, afterwards with me.  You are amazing.

11 comments:

Coach said...

Tru Stories, you are a TRU WARRIOR! You have to go thru more crap than most of us can imagine and still come out looking calm and collected. I realize this event isn't your cup of tea but you still fight. You should be proud of your accomplishment. No matter what people say, you are an inspiration to me and you don't need to take crap from anyone. holla

The General said...

I'm with you, I'm done. Twice was enough. The only way I will come out of retirement is if they start a .5k version that is cancelled if it is above 80 degrees outside.

Tru Stories said...

Amen, General. Amen.

The Mrs. said...

I define warrior not as who finishes the fastest or with the most grace. A warrior, to me, is someone who takes on a challenge and perseveres through obstacles - both literal and figurative - and comes out alive on the other side. We all showed that course who was boss (some with a little more finesse than others) overcoming some serious hurdles on the way.

All that being said, I'm still out for 2013. I'll meet everyone back at the deck and/or patio when the group returns from the battlefield.

Unknown said...

Tru Stories - You have been a warrior for years. You don't need a race to prove it!
You fight obstacles most people will never understand. I'm proud of you.

Bird said...

You survived and that makes you a warrior in my book. Your tips through the course were helpful. Thanks to you and everyone else for letting me tag along. I had a good time.

Tru Stories said...

Thanks for the shout-outs.

Plus, while trying to find the silver lining from Saturday... because the heat was taking me down, I essentially just walked from one obstacle to another, after about .70 miles in... which means, I haven't been sore at all over the last two days.
So I guess there's that...

Munchkin said...

I can't lift my arms above my head. The sunburn on my shoulders is at least second degree. Maybe I should've worried a little less about dying and a little more about sunscreen.

The Mrs. said...

Without even being there, I can tell you exactly what The General is doing. He's unlacing his shoe to get to his free beer chip. Even in the midst of near exhaustion he has his priorities.

Tru Stories said...

Mrs- Yes, you are right, I remember that now. Actually him or Coach had to untie my shoes for me.

Munchkin- Ditto on the sunscreen.

MelancholySmile said...

You did it twice! That elevates you from 'temporarily insane' to truly dedicated! Your loyalty has always been one of your most admirable qualities, which makes you a warrior in my book.

Still, even with all the agony you talk of, I CANNOT WAIT to run my first warrior race!!