Friday, August 27, 2010

Flashback Friday The 3.0 Edition

I can remember....
* This other baby, crawling around with my brother.
* A little girl with olives stuck to each finger.
* Rolling skating up and down her uneven sidewalk.
* Sharing her Mother's giant bowl of popcorn.

I can remember...
* Easter mornings...especially, the one with the finger-biting bunnies.
* The finger-biting guinea pig, also.
* Clinging to green steps, as we searched the deep.dark.grate.cave for our missing toys.



I can remember...
* Nine years ago this weekend... standing at a Denver pay-phone, learning she had gotten engaged.
* Her Thanksgiving visit, after I became a mother.
* Sharing that ol' familiar kitchen, as she painted her nails the night before her 'Big Day'.
* Watching her ring slowly roll across the deck.
* Praying I would not be the one to tell her.



I can remember...
* Her in my living room. Confusing three couples, as she claimed, The Kid had correctly predicted twins.
* La Mex, as Coach called me God-mother.



* I can remember, her eyes filled with tears, as I brought her daughter...to meet her newest daughter.

* I can remember it all...
Very Fondly.


30 years later.
Her 30th Birthday, is more shocking to me, than mine.

Whatever happened
To Tuesday and so slow
Going down the old mine
With a transistor radio
Standing in the sunlight laughing,
Hiding behind a rainbow's wall,
Slipping and sliding
All along the water fall, with you
My brown eyed girl,
You my brown eyed girl.

Do you remember when we used to sing,
Sha la la la la la

So hard to find my way,
Now that I'm all on my own.
I saw you just the other day,
My how you have grown,
Cast my memory back there, Lord

Do you remember when we used to sing?


Happy Birthday,
to my cousin, Jackie.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to my God Daughter Jackie! You can't be 30. If you are, that means my baby will turn 30 this year too!

Flag Girl said...

Happy 30th Birthday Jackie!! Wishing you the best in your 30's!
Enjoy....love ya!

Anonymous said...

Happy 30th Birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

Uhh...the ring thing would be me....Happy Bday "J" if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have a goddaughter that makes me smile every time I see her...I'm sure you have other accomplishments besides kids but none come to mind....Love you -Worhol

Doc said...

Happy 30th birthday Jackie!!! To a great mother, wife, sister-in-law and god-mother....you are the best!! Have a great birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy B-Day to a great daughter-in-law. You're more like a daughter. Seems you have been part of the family for many many years. Since that first date that was not a date. Love to you and thanks for those lovely girls. Gramma G

The Mrs. said...

Happy birthday, Jackie!

The General said...

Happy Birthday!