Monday, April 16, 2012

One Hundred Years and 1 Day Ago.

Maybe you've heard... or
maybe you're lucky and you haven't heard.
The sinking of the Titanic observed (celebrated) the 100th Anniversary, this past weekend. Possibly, for the majority of you, this event was nothing more than a blip of a mention, on your popular news show. Then.. for some of us, this was an event of Titanic proportion.

(Christmas 2010)

If you have met The Kid... even in mere passing... you may have noticed his fondness (obsession) with the historic ship. He has a habit (uncontrollable tic) of drawing sketches, randomly through out his day. On restaurant napkins, in notebooks, on the back of homework assignments... he owns at least 8 or 9 or 14 books, which cover the subject matter of the ship.
The design and building of...
The detailed accessories in each room..
The ice burg, the weather,
the sinking of... the recovery.
He has acquired a wealth of knowledge, which actually surpassed that of a Titanic Historian at a recent Titanic Dinner event.
Raise your hand, if you know the eye color, of the Titanic's Captain??!





The Kid looked forward to this Dinner Event, as if it were court side tickets to the Bulls game. He spent days re-reading, his already worn Titanic Factual books. He became nervous and excited, while waiting to met the historian, similar to Coach having the opportunity to shoot hoops with Michael Jordan.



This weekend, we generically entered only the word 'Titanic' into the DVR and set it to record. Every 15 minutes, a TV from one room, after another, clicked over to record COUNTLESS hours of Anniversary coverage. Coach nearly lost his mi-zzind. We currently still have at least 16 hours of yet to view Titanic footage clogging up the DVR menu. And...honestly, I like me a clean DVR.
At the Dinner, The Kid was selected to read a part in the Act. He confidently, delivered his line, with a microphone and a large crowd of strangers.



He also spent his week, participating in the school Spelling Bee finals, once again gracing the High Honors Grade Report and this evening...
he Struck out his very first TWO batters.
In what is (please God, fingers crossed) the first two, in a long line of thousands..

Now... if we could just work on HIS batting, the positive and gracious Go Team! attitude and that lil (HUGE) problem we call The Temper... he'd easily be the most awesome Kid of all times.

PS- If anyone missed Titanic's Achilles Heel or Titanic at 100 or Titanic: With James Cameron.. please accept our invitation to view these exciting programs (and COUNTLESS others) at our home.
We'll be serving: Ice Water.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Titanic, blah, blah, blah. As if I do not know enough about the Titanic (I really don't, I try not to listen.) We are suppose to visit the world's largest display of Titanic items this summer. It is like the Basketball Hall of Fame only it is for people that care about a ship sinking. Odd!
Striking out two. I feel hope.

Flag Girl said...

Wierd.....how much The Kid, #1 & #3 are so much alike.... soaking in knowledge with such passion.

NO.... I don't know my kids blog names....its too hard to look up, I can barely read the two freakin words I have to deal with to prove I am not a Robot.

Unknown said...

Why do we have to prove we are not robots? Has there been an issue on your blog with robots? I'm not going to lie, I have problems with the words.

Cath said...

Wow, that's intense. My Mom has a friend from Pontiac that was on the news Sunday b/c he has a ridiculous collection of Titanic memorabilia, and spent a sick amount of time building a replica of the ship itself. If you are interested in feeding into The Kid's obsession a little more, I'm sure I can connect these two for a chit chat and they'd talk for hours. Buzz would be tickled to find someone as obsessed as him. I'm sure Flag Girl knows him from RRD.

The Mrs. said...

I took my word verification off to please Tru Stories. I have sense received no less than five robot comments on blog posts from as far back as four years ago. Annoying.

I love The Kid's passion.

Tru Stories said...

Ok... I think I have removed the word Verfctn...

Unknown said...

I need to write a comment to see if the Word Verification is gone.

Unknown said...

Thanks TS. It is gone. Come on Robots. This blog is safe for you to comment on.