Saturday, April 28, 2012

His name is Maximus Decimus...

Thumbs up! It's your 18th birthday and I will randomly honor you with a series of quotes from the greatest Man Movie of all times. Full of quips about being a person of virtue and real Man-ness.

Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage, perhaps not on the battlefield, but... there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family.

Decimus- As you age, I hope you are able to find a comfortable relationship with your parents.  To realize the adults in your life, have loved you and have done the best they could.  I hope you are able to recognize their moments of patience and devotion.  They have tried (as most parents all try) to do right by you. The gift of aging?? It brings you clarity.

He enters Rome like a conquering hero.
 But what has he conquered?
Give him time. He's young, he may do very well.

As an adult, I hope you find a real love. An unique and fulfilling profession.  A sense of purpose.  You have been anxiously fighting to become an adult for several years now... Well son, here you have it!  Be a kind man.  Leave the world better than you found it.  Help more people, than have helped you.  You have a vibrant energy and an array of talents, you have yet to discover.  You are a fighter... fight for good.  Make yourself proud.

What we do in life echoes in eternity.

(Artwork by Warhol)

Ancestors, I ask you for your guidance. Blessed mother, come to me with the Gods' desire for my future

Happy 18th Birthday, Decimus.
The walker of my daughters to the concession stand.
You have been painted, so perfectly Irish Catholic. 
Take your gifts and conquer the world!
You are capable and able.

And last, just to please the crowd, the greatest Gladiator quote Eva.  (Which has zero to do with becoming a man but if you expect to be a Man's Man... you had better at least pretend to love this quote.)

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

8 comments:

Coach said...

That line still gives me the goosebumps. Happy Birthday Decimus.

Unknown said...

I have never watched Gladiator. Happy Birthday!

Munchkin said...

Happy Birthday Maximus! That line game be goosebumps too

Doc said...

Happy birthday Maximus! Have a great birthday weekend!!

Flag Girl said...

Happy birthday!! Enjoy adulthood!

The Mrs. said...

Happy birthday Maximus! Guess I need to put that movie on my to-see list.

The General said...

Happy Birthday! And yes I will make sure my wife sees Gladiator.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, maximus. Sorry this is late on the blog. Don't know where my head was the last two days. You are my red headed grandson ready to join adulthood. ENjoy the prom and the years ahead of you. Love you, Gramma G