Thursday, March 18, 2010

I'd like to rain all over your green parade.

It is possible, a few of you, are regretting your celebration last night. Which is why, the day after St. Patrick's Day, feels the most appropriate for my 'Things I don't get'.
If I had done this yesterday, I may have been a spoiled sport.


Things I do not get....

1. Corned Beef and Cabbage. Yuck, my eyes and ears have both tasted this dish and no thank-you. Christmas gets cookies, Halloween gets candy, Thanksgiving gets pies, Easter gets Cadbury Cream Eggs and St. Patrick's Day gets....Cabbage. I'm not sure the Irish really thought that out.

2. Green Beer. Why would anyone find that appealing? For future reference, I do not get, Green Skittles, green fruit snacks, green jello and green Kool-aid. They all taste like freshly cut grass.
Green, is the color associated with mold.

3. 'Kiss me, I'm Irish' shirts. Really, after all the green beer you have been drinking...aren't you just going to try and kiss somebody anyway? Why bother wearing the shirt.

4. The snake myth. I found the following on the Internet...

The patron saint of Ireland was born to a wealthy British family in the late fourth century. When he was 16 years old, he was kidnapped and sent to Ireland, where he was sold into slavery. For six years, he worked as a shepherd and turned to Christianity in his isolation.

It was during this time he had a dream God told him to flee from his captors. St. Patrick’s time in captivity left a tremendous impression on him and he studied to become a priest. While serving in France, he had more visions, to return to Ireland. He returned to the island country, where he was consecrated as a missionary bishop in 432.

Back in Ireland, St. Patrick worked to abolish paganism. Sensitive about his lack of education during his time in slavery, St. Patrick set up learning centers in the church for slaves and the poor.

One thing he did not do, although he is often given credit for it, is rid the country of serpents, the island likely was never inhabited by snakes and the myth developed as an explanation for it.

Today, people associate St. Patrick’s Day with shamrocks and leprechauns more than the bearded man who is believed to have died on March 17. St. Patrick is frequently pictured holding a staff and a shamrock. The reason for the shamrock, the three-leaf clover, was to explain the concept of the Trinity: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

In Ireland, March 17 is a Holy Day and a national holiday. In the U.S., St. Patrick’s Day is a day of both worship and celebration for many Catholics.


After reading that, I'm sure next year, my husband and his buddies will meet up at church, after work.
Also, next time Coach appears nervous around snakes, I'll tell The Kid, his ancestors did not live amongst them. You can't fight your bloodline.


In our home, this holiday is an actual, legitimate reason, to showcase the clover attire we own. We have a stupid large collection of shamrocks. It is the one day of the year, they look festive, like other children....rather than a walking advertisement for their Father's Fan Club.

5 comments:

andrea said...

everyday.... EVERYDAY Coco is cuter. unbelievable!

Anderson Family said...

Do we really need an occasion to showcase those cute kids in their shamrock attire!!! Love the pigtails. Love the family. Thanks for the history lesson. Appreciate it. People make sure you enlarge the Coco picture to see those piggy tails up close.

Bookkeeper said...

How adorable!! I didn't see the piggy's until Page Turner pointed them out. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Is she in plank? Love the pigtails!!! Doc

The Mrs. said...

I had the exact same thought about green beer yesterday. Nearly posted about it even. Then I thought to myself, "I'm of Polish heritage, so what do I know?". Thanks for putting it out there for all us non-Irish folk.