Thursday, April 11, 2013

Voting. Feminist Style.

In college, I took a Women's History class.  It was shocking to learn the history behind women receiving the right to vote... and more shocking, how many countries still will not allow a woman to vote.  Since, I have respected the simple act of voting, even more than I already had.  I always wait to cast my vote until the kids are out of school.  I think it is important for them to see how exciting the entire process can be (yes... even in little small town elections.)
Tuesday, I took my two girls and my carpool daughter Eme. (The Kid was at track.)  I was laying it on very thick for the little ladies.  "Isn't this awesome?!  Aren't we lucky to vote for our leaders?!"
We checked in.
The girls got to say my name, held my voting receipt, we all squeezed into the booth.  They were a little miffed I kept my vote a secret but were excited by my paper to hide my slip and sneak it into the machine.
We proudly displayed our I Voted stickers...
Piled back into the van.

Me: Wasn't that great?!  Don't we love living in America?  Voting is an honor...

Girls: Yes! Fun.  Love America..

Me: Did you know... there are other countries where people are not allowed to vote?! (shocked gasps)  And several countries where only women are not allowed to vote... isn't that awful?!

Eme: What!? Does my mom know about that?

Me: Yes, I'm sure she does.  Your mom is very smart.

Eme: Yeah... she went to college.

Me: Yes!  She did.  And it is so important to go to college and learn lots of things.  In those same countries... sometimes they do not allow women to go to school.  Isn't that awful and sad for those girls?

All Girls: Yes.  Terrible... I want to go to school.

Eme: I'm going to college... because when you go to college, you can get a boyfriend.

Coco: What?!  ME too.  I want to get a boyfriend in college.

Me (frankly losing my grip on this feminist moment): Well... girls, it is important to go to college to learn and not just...

Eme (interrupting): My big sister is in college.  She has a boyfriend there.

Coco: What does he look like?  What's her name?!  What's her boyfriend's name... etc.

Bottom Line:
Fight for the Right to Vote.
But first and foremost...
Find a good-lookin Manz...

3 comments:

I used to be a Hooker said...

She established her own dating age of 21. I'm cool with it.

Unknown said...

Hooker you better keep her away from Coco. That girl is going to be something.
I say no more Princess movies for any of them. They believe a Prince will carry them off.
Not going to happen.

Arizona said...

LOLZ #boysrule